5 Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes We Wish You Heard More
On Martin Luther King Jr. Day everyone turns to his historic 'I Have A Dream' speech as a point of reference. Martin Luther King Jr. is one of the rare types of people that has said so many inspirational, intelligent things that most of them get lost over the years. Here are ten of the quotes from King that we think deserve to be noticed.
1. Science investigates, religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom which is control. Science deals mainly with facts, religion deals mainly in values. The two are not rivals, they are complementary.
2. The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character. . . that is the goal of true education.
3. The arrogance of feeling like we have everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them is not just.
4. We must rapidly begin the shift from a "thing" oriented society, to a person oriented society.
5. We must be concerned not merely about the murderer . . . but about the system, the way of life and the philosophy which produced the murderer.
It's hard to write about the impact that Martin Luther King Jr. had on the America we live in today. He was a man of such great influence that it seems nearly impossible to summarize his legacy, and still include all of the important moments.
I guess I'll put it as simply as I can by saying that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a man who genuinely wanted to help us be better people. The most amazing thing is that he practiced what he preached, even in the face of blatant hatred. So celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day today by doing this one simple thing . . . try to be a better person to yourself, and everyone around you.
See more great quotes that fly under the radar from BF.