iPhone 5 Is Officially Announced By Apple
The iPhone 5 is officially here after months of rumors and speculation were put to rest by Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide product marketing Phil Schiller. So how different is it different from the last iPhone? You'll be surprised.
The lighter, faster, bigger and brighter iPhone 5 is fulfilling everyone's expectations.
The iPhone 5
- It’s 20% lighter than the iPhone 4S, 18% thinner, and crafted out of glass and aluminum.
- The two-toned design is indeed legit, as is the new iPhone’s larger 4-inch Retina Display. And yes, that display runs at 1136 x 640 with five rows of icons. According to Schiller, it’s “the most accurate display in the industry” because the touch sensors are embedded in the display as well.
- The iPhone 5 packs support for Sprint, Verizon, and AT&T’s LTE networks here in the States.
- As expected, Apple has also unveiled a brand new chipset for the iPhone 5: the A6, which Schiller says is a full two times faster than the A5 chip in the iPhone 4S
- The iPhone 4S’s battery life wasn’t anything to write home about, but the iPhone 5 seems equipped to do much better — 8 hours of 3G talk time, as well as 8 hours of 3G and LTE web browsing to be precise.
- The iPhone’s audio system has been bolstered with a smaller (but improved speaker). There are also now three microphones in the mix: one on the front, one on the back, and another on the bottom.
- That rumored miniature Dock Connector is real, and it’s called “Lightning.” Yes, there’s an adapter for it, but no word yet on exactly what it will cost you.
- Instead of upping the megapixel count, Apple has stuck with an 8-megapixel camera. That said, the backside-illuminated sensor is smaller, and features much better low-light performance.
- The camera now also has a built-in panorama mode.
- The revamped camera also supports 1080p video capture, and users can now snap photos while recording video at the same time.
More details will be released closer to the phones release date, but the big question is; will you be in line for iPhone 5?