Gold Medal Winners Cry 16% Of The Time On The Medal Stand
Winning a gold medal at the Olympics is a very emotional time. For most athletes it is the culmination of a lifetime of training.
It should come as no surprise that 16% of the gold medal winners break down in tears on the podium, but who cries the most?
After watching 129 London winners accept their medals, here's the count:
• One-quarter of women cry.
• 8% of men break down (and most broke down in a big way).
• 7% of Chinese winners cry, compared to 17% of US winners and 37% of British winners.
• All in all, about 16% of gold-medal winners cried
• 16% bit or kissed the medal.
• 44% sang along to their national anthem.