The Big House Bringing the Boom Next Season with New Sound System
Renovations are underway at Michigan Stadium before the 2023 season.
The Big House is one of the best college football stadiums on the planet and it is currently getting a facelift. If you didn't know many improvements are being made to Michigan Stadium to the tune of $41 million.
Initially, the plan was to spend around $12 million to replace both the north and south video boards. As the upgrades continue, it looks like the video board project may end up costing $4 million less than expected. Fun fact, when the stadium was built in 1927 it cost $950,000 (which is equivalent to $12 million in 2021.)
SEE ALSO: 14 Famous University of Michigan Alumni and Their Net Worth
According to the University of Michigan Board of Regents, the $41 million project includes the following improvements:
- Upgrades to the production room in the Crisler Center - $8 million
- Replacement of the video boards in the north and south end zones - $12 million
- The plan also called for "permanent safety additions for access" to the new video boards - $4 million
- Replacement of the audio system inside The Big House. This project will see additional audio equipment installation in the seating bowl and concourse - $5 million
- Fees and cost of site work - $12 million
Construction is anticipated to be completed before the start of the 2023 football season.
The Big House is the largest stadium in the nation and the third largest in the world. Michigan Stadium first opened on October 1st, 1927, and has a record attendance of 115,109 people. That record was set during the Michigan vs. Notre Dame game on September 7th, 2013.