5 Michigan Billionaires Make the Big Forbes Wealthiest List for 2021
Just to put it in perspective right out of the gate, the cutoff this year to making it into the uber wealthy club was $2.9 billion. Yes BILLION, with a "B".
Tuesday Forbes released their yearly list ranking the 400 wealthiest Americans. Even with the craziness of the past year, the $2.9 billion cutoff point was up from the previous few years where it held steady at $2.1 billion. That change saw 51 of the billionaires that enjoyed time in the illusive club getting the boot from the list. Two big notables that fell from grace? Oprah Winfrey and former President Donald Trump.
Michigan had some serious representation on this years list thanks to 5 Michigander's and their monetary success. The five is made up of three men, and two women. is made up of some recognizable names.
- #23 Dan Gilbert: Quicken Loans founder and Chairman with his net worth of $30.9 billion.
- #42 Hank & Doug Meijer: Owners, and brothers, of Meijer which has 230 stores. Their net worth is combined $19.5 billion.
- #102 Mat Ishbia: President and CEO of the mortgage lender United Wholesale Mortgage now, UWM Holdings. His net worth is $8.3 billion.
- #117 Ronda Stryker: Director of Stryker Corp, the medical equipment company originally founded by her grandfather. Her net worth comes in at $7.5 billion.
- #253 Marian Illtich: Marian and her late husband Mike founded Michigan's Little Caesars Pizza. Her current net worth is $4.4 billion.
(All figures are per Forbes)
Just in case you're wondering, it was Amazon mogul. and new "rocket man", Jeff Bezos taking the top spot on the list. His net worth? $201 billion.
You can check out the full list of the Forbes 400 for 2021 here.