Michigan Writers – You Can Win $500 For Your Short Story
If you are a Michigan resident and have a unique story to tell in three thousand words or less - you could win up to $500 by entering a contest called Write Michigan.
Write Michigan is an event series held by Kent District Library, located in Kent County, Michigan, that is dedicated to nurturing and promoting local Michigan literary talent. What is really cool about this contest is that it's open to writers of all ages. There will be cash prizes awarded in the following categories,
- Readers' Choice
- Judges' Choice
- Judges' Runner-Up
- Spanish-language stories from kids age 12 and younger
Multiple winners in each category will receive cash prizes ranging from $250 to $500. The breakdown is as follows,
Judges will award one writer a slot in the 2022 Author Quest writing camp for kids ages 10-13. The camp is hosted by author Johnathan Rand of American Chillers and Michigan Chillers fame. It lasts four days and three nights and takes place in Indian River, Mich. The winner’s parents are responsible for providing transportation to and from the writing camp.
The top 10 entries in each category (Adult / Teen / Youth / Spanish-Language), as selected by staff of Kent District Library and Schuler Books, will be posted online at WriteMichigan.org for a public vote to choose the Readers’ Choice winners. These stories also move on to our celebrity judges for determination of the Judges’ Choice awards.
The top 5 stories in each category (Adult / Teen / Youth / Spanish-Language), as chosen by the celebrity judges, as well as the Readers’ Choice winners, will be published by Chapbook Press using the Espresso Book Machine. Copies will be available in March.
A $250 cash prize will be awarded to the Judges’ Choice runner-up in each category (Adult / Teen / Youth / Spanish-Language):
- Judges’ Choice Runner-Up (Adult)
- Judges’ Choice Runner-Up (Teen)
- Judges’ Choice Runner Up (Youth)
- Judges’ Choice Runner Up (Spanish-Language Youth)
A $500 cash prize will be awarded to the first-place winners in each category (Adult / Teen / Youth / Spanish-Language) in both the popular and judged contests:
- Judges’ Choice Winner (Adult)
- Judges’ Choice Winner (Teen)
- Judges’ Choice Winner (Youth)
- Judges’ Choice Winner (Spanish-Language Youth)
- Readers’ Choice Winner (Adult)
- Readers’ Choice Winner (Teen)
- Readers’ Choice Winner (Youth)
- Readers’ Choice Winner (Spanish-Language Youth)
Guidelines and or contest rules are as follow,
- One short story per author. Entry information here.
- Entries must be received by November 30, 2021 at noon.
- Winners announced on
- Maximum story length: 3,000 words
- Entry fee: $10 for ages 18 and older (free for ages 17 and younger)
- Contest open to Michigan residents only
- Complete contest guidelines available in English and Español
Every person has a story. Tell yours. This would be a cool thing for your entire family to get involved in. I am even thinking about entering. Let me know if you do too. Below is deadline information and more.
September 1 – Noon, November 30, 2021
December 2, 2021 – January 6, 2022
January 17, 2022
Public Voting Online / Judges’ Review
January 17 – February 7, 2022
February 11, 2022
March 26, 2022