Detroit Lions Announce No Fans To Start The Season
The Detroit Lions announced today that when the season starts on September 13th that there will be no fans at Ford Field.
The press release from the Lions says that for now, only the first two games at Ford Field will be played with no fans. That means that the season opener on September 13th against the Bears and October 4th against the Saints will be fanless. Any games going forward will be decided at a later date.
The team said that they are working closely with Gov Whitmer and health officials to make sure it is safe for fans to come. Team President Rod Wood gave the following statement.
We have spent considerable time and resources implementing new gameday protocols at Ford Field and are ready to host fans at Lions games once approved by state guidelines
This isn't the way anyone wanted the season to start, but I don't think anyone can be surprised by it either. I'm actually relieved that the announcement is only concerning fans attending the games, and not the cancellation of the season all together.
Despite the Coronavirus restrictions, the Lions are still optimistic about having fans at upcoming games. They are even offering season ticket holders different game package options to buy. The packages will be at a reduced price, and available for a limited time frame. You can get details about the ticket packages here.
Depending how the Lions start, not having fans could be a blessing in disguise. I am optimistic about how the Lions will do this season, and I am making the call here that they will be a playoff team if the NFL is able to finish the season.
Check out some of the safety precautions that the Lions have put in place at Ford Field in anticipation of fans returning.
- New air filtration system
- More than 250 touchless hand sanitizer stands throughout concourses along with touchless faucets, toilets and paper towel dispensers in every restroom
- Plexiglass at every point of sale location throughout stadium
- Points of sale have been adapted to process cashless transactions
- Electrostatic sprayers that enable a quick and effective disinfecting process
- Food options to be pre-prepared and properly packaged