Meijer Opening 2 Small Stores In Lake Orion & Macomb, MI Jan 26th
Meijer has been evolving its store sizes and lay-outs consistently through the years. Now, it's opening to grocery-only focused stores in Lake Orion and Macomb, MI.
Where are the new, smaller Meijer stores?
- The first two of these new, smaller Meijer stores will be called "Meijer Grocery" opening in Orion and Macomb Township around Metro Detroit. They won't have clothing and other general merchandise departments -- you'll still have a pharmacy, floral department, deli, meat counter etc.
- Meijer has even more unique neighborhood markets. Royal Oak has a 'Woodward Corner Market.' It opened in 2020 and specializes in convenience with ready-made meals, locally made products and frozen & fresh foods, too.
How long has Meijer been in business in Michigan?
- Meijer was started in Greenville, Michigan in 1934 and has expanded operations to Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky and Wisconsin.
Popular Burger & Craft Beer Spot Expanding in MI
Is Meijer getting rid of big stores?
- Meijer has been known for giant stores selling everything from fresh produce to automotive goods and everything in between. According to Wikipedia, the Traverse City, MI Meijer is the largest in Michigan. Don't worry, 'Supercenters' aren't necessarily going away.
Why is Meijer building smaller grocery stores?
- According to their Senior Vice President of Merchandising at Meijer, Don Sanderson, "added convenience" is the main reason.
- Corner entrances will create more "up front" parking.
- Giant garage doors (like you'd see at trendy restaurants) that will open during warmer months to showcase produce, etc.
- Shop & scan will allow you to scan items as you shop. Then, give you a barcode to scan and pay on your way out.
Meijer continues to evolve to meet our shopping tastes -- and neighborhood aesthetics. Now, if they could do something about the price of eggs, we'd be even happier.
Can You Believe Michigan Loves Curling So Much It Has 9 Clubs?
Most Creative, Funny Pet Salon Names In Michigan
13 Michigan Restaurants Featured On TV's 'Man vs Food'
$2.7M Beautiful Detroit Firehouse Could Be Your New Home